The disadvantages of not being tech savvy


I'm sure most people are a lot more tech savvy than I am. Being not-that-tech-savvy is a bad thing. Everything today is dependent on technology. If you aren't technologically aware then you can get fooled. I wish I knew the intricacies of technology. Four years of Computer Science in school and a semester in college is not enough. I feel lost when my laptop acts funny. I can only get answers if I'm connected to the internet or I ask help from a friend. Clueless as I am in complicated tech matters, I can't really judge which option is the best for me. I generally go with what I need, knowing that someone will tell me later that I made a bad decision. Opinions though are subjective, if one were to seek professional help then they must prepare to part with a tidy sum for very little service.

If you just let a professional touch your computer you have to shell out cash for a "consultation". Okay, so they may be tech doctors but that does not mean that they won't cheat people. Little knowledge is dangerous and what you don't know will hurt you, a lot! You can be made to believe that they did a lot when actually they didn't. Later you realise that you could have done all that stuff on your own, through help from the internet or a friend. If you're nervous about 'do it yourself' experiments then you may pay a high price for it, I mean literally. Sometimes we have to take a leap of faith and just fix things ourselves with some advice.

Well, I've already gone through my experience of technology related glitches and paid the price of getting professional help. I can say that the so called satisfaction you get out of consulting a professional is not true. You might end up being more stressed because of it. When you read articles online about tech advice it actually seems simple, and then you realise that you made much ado about nothing. Taking a shot in the dark is not that bad so long as you don't make major bad choices. So I've decided to not get professional help till I haven't tried to fix it on my own, with advice of course. There is no point of pointless expenditure that can be avoided. Damn! I could have shopped online instead! Anyway, with whatever limited resources one has, one has to make do with that. So long as the work has been done well you won't feel completely cheated.

I need education in technology, in depth so that I understand properly what those tech magazines write about. So that I'll know what to do if I ever encounter a technical problem in the future and be confident about what I'm doing to fix it. I need to read a lot of tech articles and talk to tech savvy people. I'm sure after a point I'll be able to handle it on my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Land

Beautiful