Career


Since childhood, we are encouraged to have ambitions, without really knowing what an ambition is. We are asked by our relatives what we want to be when we grow up, and we say whatever fancies us: Teacher, Doctor, Engineer, Scientist and so on. When I was a kid I said I wanted to be a Marine Biologist little knowing what that meant. It was a career chosen by my elder sister for me and I guess I agreed to it because it sounded so formidable. 

As I grew older I told my mom that I wanted to make new things, so she assumed I wanted to become a Scientist. At one point of time, I wanted to become an Actress a Lawyer. In middle school, I wanted to become a Doctor. This ambition was influenced by a television series, based on a hospital that my family would watch every weekday. I felt the profession was so noble and it appealed to my compassionate self. I was bad in Math so I knew that I wouldn't be able to become a Doctor. I started sketching outfits in my notebook, which were pretty good, so I thought of becoming a fashion designer.

When my sister was studying in class eleven, she would often tell us about her Psychology classes. The whole idea of interpretation of dreams was very appealing to me. I would go through my sister’s notes and I liked what I read. When I was thirteen I read Many Lives Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss. I know it’s not the kind of book that a thirteen-year-old should read but I've always been precocious. That was the turning point in my life. The book took me by storm, I became fascinated by past life regression. I then decided to study Psychology further. In class nine I studied Economics as my elective subject and I loved it. I flirted with the idea of studying it further but it is not an easy subject, so I dropped the idea. 

I chose to study Arts in class eleven because I wanted to study Psychology. I loved the Psychology classes, they further increased my interest in the subject. I thought of studying Criminal Psychology because of watching Criminal Minds on television.  I even decided to go to college abroad and did whatever was necessary for that, everything was going fine until the recession. I felt really disappointed that it didn't work out for me, but I learned a lot from the experience. I went to college in Bangalore and completed a Bachelors Degree course with a triple major in Psychology, Optional English, and Sociology. I didn't know what I should do next. I wanted to study Criminal Psychology, but that would limit my scope to helping only criminals. My lecturer suggested that I study Clinical Psychology, as I would be able to deal with people of all age groups, and a wide range of mental problems.

I completed my Master of Science Degree in Clinical Psychology in June and I've applied for the position of an intern at a premier institute for mental health in the country. I hope I get through. I plan to pursue an M.Phil. in Clinical Psychology so that I can get a license to practice. Then I want to pursue a Ph.D. just to be called Doctor. At least that way I will be a Doctor like I had wanted to be, a different kind of Doctor nonetheless. I have high ambitions and I know a lot of perseverance and faith will help me reach my goals. The journey is long but I'm in it for the long haul, so I don't mind. I've hitched my wagon to a star.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The disadvantages of not being tech savvy

Land

Beautiful